[MSX] Real SCC on PC?

Adrian Oboroc msx@stack.nl
Mon May 10 21:27:01 2004

Hi guys,

I own 6 MSX machines, ganging from Yamaha MSX-1 (CM5-X music computer) to TurboR GT. But as emulators are getting better and better and as space in my conto goes more and more packed, I seriously consider to get rid of all the real hardware and move on to emulation.

But before I do so, I would like to know if it is hard to somehow build a tiny PCboard with SCC chip, feeding data to it via LPT or COM and connecting output to Line-In or Aux-In of the autio card on PC.

I know this was done for PSG by Spectrum folks (AY on LPT project) and something similar was done with SID by C=64 folks. Did anyone do it? If yes, was it hard?

I don't mind ruining several Konami SCC game cartridges to scavenge the chip out of them. Those carts are loose (no box, no manual), so they aren't of particular value to anyone.

If you feel like you think it's a bad idea to dump actual hardware and break real game carts for better sound in MSX emulators, please don't bother wasting your breath on me. We just have very different views, and so let's just coexist, if we can't be friends and lovers :)